Saturday 17 September 2016

Lake Louise


Still here in Banff. Nice little town, reminds of somewhere from a film set. Very clean and the locals are extremely friendly, but very busy today being the weekend because apparently the people from Calgary come to the National Park for the day if the weather is good. This is a photo I took last night of the sun setting over the Bow river.





Today we were up and out on the road again at 8am heading west along the Bow Valley Parkway to Johnston's Canyon where we did a nice hike up to the Lower Waterfalls.




Then we continued on to Lake Louise, Canada's most famous lake, which despite the crowds of people, was a uniquely beautiful lake, shimmering turqouise at the foot of Mount Victoria. There is a magnificent hotel called the Chateau at one end of the lake which was built when the Pacific railway had been finished and tourism expanded. I walked for quite a while around the lake which was nice and peaceful away from the crowds.




I

I am now relaxing on my balcony with a cuppa, while some of the group have headed off for a helicopter ride over the Rockies. I considered it for a nano second and discounted it very quickly due to my aversion of heights! 
You will all be not surprised to hear that I managed to find some good wine last night in the bar!
An excellent Sauvignon Blanc to start with, then a good glass of Malbec with my dinner.
Tomorrow is going to be an even earlier start as Robyn wants us to be on the road at 7.30am for our journey to Jasper! Wake up call needed I think.
Hopefully I shall have wifi in Jasper......if not, will give you the next chapter when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment